Imagine a dynamic universe where creativity knows no limits, and let's step into the captivating domain of Pinterest marketing.
In the ever-evolving world of social media, Pinterest reigns as a hidden treasure, eagerly awaiting astute marketers like you to unlock its full potential. It's not just a platform; it's a living canvas where ideas are transformed into visual masterpieces and where marketing transcends the ordinary.
While you may associate Pinterest with DIY enthusiasts and culinary adventurers, there's a well-kept secret: Pinterest is a powerhouse of marketing opportunities. With a staggering 460 million monthly users and an impressive 85% of them claiming to have made purchases through Pins, Pinterest isn't just a website—it's a marketing mecca.
Now, embark on a thrilling journey with me as we demystify the art of Pinterest marketing, delve into its unique advantages, and craft a strategy that will illuminate your brand in the captivating world of Pinterest. Get ready to pin your way to success!
Visual Marketing on Pinterest
Pinterest is more than a social platform; it's a powerhouse of visual marketing opportunities. In a digital landscape where visuals reign supreme, Pinterest offers marketers a canvas to showcase their creativity and captivate their audience. Here, each Pin becomes a work of art, and every board tells a visual story.
But to truly unlock the potential of visual marketing on Pinterest, it's essential to master the art of creating visually appealing content. Your Pins should be more than just images; they should convey your brand's story and values. Think of Pinterest as your digital art gallery, where each Pin is a masterpiece waiting to be discovered.
Pinterest SEO Tips
To navigate this visual wonderland effectively, you must understand the importance of Pinterest SEO tips. Like search engines, Pinterest uses algorithms to connect users with the most relevant content. Pinterest calls itself a “discovery engine” because it helps Pinners find more of what they love based on past search results. By optimizing your presence with effective SEO strategies, you can ensure that your Pins and boards are front and center when users embark on their visual journeys.
Here are some Pinterest SEO tips to boost your visibility:
- Keyword-Rich Descriptions: Craft descriptive and keyword-rich descriptions for your Pins. These descriptions inform users about your content and help Pinterest's search algorithms understand the context.
- Strategic Board Titles: Choose board titles that reflect your content and include relevant keywords. This not only aids in discovery but also enhances your overall Pinterest profile's SEO.
- Consistency is Key: Regularly update your boards with fresh Pins. Consistency signals to Pinterest that your content is active and relevant, improving its chances of being recommended to users.
By incorporating these Pinterest SEO tips, you can ensure that your content shines brightly in the vast visual landscape of Pinterest.
A strategy for your Pinterest activities will help you reach your goals and objectives. You have those in place, right? Here are my tips and strategic ways to use Pinterest for marketing:
1. Create Boards with Keywords in your Title
Pinterest boasts an incredible capacity for search, making it a goldmine for businesses seeking online visibility. To harness this potential, it's imperative to employ a strategic approach that revolves around the clever use of keywords in your board titles.
By infusing these essential phrases that align with your brand and content into your board titles, you transform them into beacons that guide users toward your pins. Think of it as speaking the language of your target audience, a language that Pinterest's search algorithms are keen to recognize and reward.
Think of your board titles as carefully crafted invitations, enticing both users and Pinterest's algorithms to explore your content. The art lies in seamlessly integrating relevant keywords and categories to elevate your presence in the vibrant world of Pinterest.
To improve the SEO and discoverability of your boards, consider these smart strategies:
- Keyword-Optimized Board Titles: Continue to use descriptive, keyword-rich titles for your boards. This will help Pinterest's search algorithms understand the content of your boards and improve their visibility in search results.
- Pin Descriptions: Place more emphasis on writing detailed and keyword-rich descriptions for your pins. Include relevant keywords that describe the content of the pins and the boards they belong to.
- Relevant Board Covers: Choose eye-catching and relevant cover images for your boards. These images should reflect the content and theme of the board, making it more appealing to users.
- Regular Pinning: Consistently pin fresh and engaging content to your boards. Regularly updating your boards with new pins can help keep them active and attractive to users.
- Engagement: Encourage engagement on your pins by inviting users to like, comment, and save them. Engagement signals can help improve the visibility of your pins and boards.
- Collaborative Boards: Consider participating in or creating collaborative boards with others in your niche. Collaborative boards can expand your reach and introduce your content to new audiences.
While Pinterest's features may evolve, the core principles of effective Pinterest marketing—using relevant keywords, engaging content, and maintaining an active presence—remain essential for success on the platform. Stay updated with Pinterest's latest updates and adapt your strategy accordingly to continue optimizing your Pinterest marketing efforts.
2. Optimizing Pin Descriptions for Pinterest Success
When it comes to making your mark on Pinterest, don't underestimate the power of pin descriptions. Think of them as your opportunity to spread your ideas and engage your audience further. Pin descriptions play a crucial role not only in informing users about your content but also in boosting your visibility in search results.
Here's how you can make the most of pin descriptions, along with examples of compelling descriptions that hit the mark:
- Utilize Keywords: Like search engine optimization, Pinterest SEO tips extend to your pin descriptions. Incorporate relevant keywords that describe your content. For instance, if you're sharing a recipe for a vegan chocolate cake, use keywords like “vegan dessert,” “chocolate cake recipe,” and “plant-based baking” to maximize your discoverability. Example: “Indulge in guilt-free sweetness with our decadent vegan chocolate cake recipe. Perfect for plant-based foodies! 🍫🍰”
- Be Concise and Engaging: Remember that your pin description doubles as a tweet when shared on other platforms. Keep it short, snappy, and engaging. Highlight the key benefits or unique aspects of your content. Create curiosity and a desire to click through to your website or blog. Example: “Unleash your creativity with these DIY home decor ideas. Transform your living space into a work of art! 🎨✨”
- Include a Call to Action (CTA): Add a clear call to action to encourage user interaction. Whether it's “Click for more,” “Save for later,” or “Try it today,” a well-placed CTA can prompt users to take the desired action.Example: “Discover the ultimate travel destinations for your next adventure. ✈️ Where will your wanderlust take you? Click for inspiration!”
- Use Emojis Sparingly: Emojis can add personality and visual appeal to your pin descriptions. However, use them sparingly and ensure they complement your message rather than overwhelm it. Example: “Fuel your morning with this nutritious green smoothie recipe. 🌱🥤 Start your day with a boost of energy and vitality!”
- Showcase Benefits: Explain how your content can benefit the reader. Whether it's solving a problem, inspiring creativity, or providing valuable information, clarify why your pin is worth exploring. Example: “Master the art of time management with these productivity hacks. 🕒 Boost your efficiency and reclaim your day!”
Remember that pin descriptions are for Pinterest users and those who may discover your pins on other social media platforms. Craft concise, engaging, and relevant descriptions to maximize the impact of your pins across the digital landscape.
3. Craft Engaging Vertical Images to Maximize your Real Estate
Pinterest images visuals speak volumes, and the key to catching users' eye lies in creating compelling vertical images. These images should be long and narrow, allowing you to occupy prime visual real estate and grab your audience's attention. Take a cue from your favorite pins; observe what makes them highly repinnable and shareable.
I recommend crafting images with dimensions of up to 1000 pixels by 1500 pixels. This larger canvas provides an immersive and inviting experience, encouraging users to repin your content and explore further.
Steps to Create a Standout Graphic:
- Design Your Custom Pinterest Image: Infuse your branding and website elements into the image to create a cohesive visual identity for your pins. Add a tasteful logo in the corner.
- Craft a Compelling Description: Add around 500 words of descriptive text that conveys the essence of your pin and incorporates relevant keywords. Keep it concise, engaging, and tailored to resonate with your target audience. Users can tweet directly from Pinterest, so make your description tweet-worthy.
- Include a Relevant Link: In the pin description, include a link to your corresponding blog article or homepage. This link allows users to explore more about the content you're promoting.
- Edit the Pin Source: Don't forget to edit the pin to ensure the source link is correctly attached, directing users to the intended destination when they click or engage with your pin.
Creating visually captivating vertical images and optimizing their descriptions with relevant keywords is essential for effective Pinterest visual marketing. These steps enhance your pins' discoverability and encourage user engagement, ultimately driving traffic to your website or blog.
4. Establish Valuable Backlinks to Your Website or Blog
One of the cornerstones of a successful Pinterest marketing strategy is the art of building meaningful and contextually relevant backlinks to your website or blog. These backlinks not only strengthen your online presence but also drive traffic from Pinterest to your digital domain. Here's how to master this crucial aspect:
Pin with Purpose: When pinning your content, ensure that it provides value to your audience. High-quality, informative, and visually appealing pins naturally attract attention and interest. As users engage with your pins, they are more likely to click through to your website, thereby creating a valuable link between your Pinterest presence and your online content.
Collaborate with Others: Embrace the collaborative spirit of Pinterest by participating in group boards relevant to your niche or industry. By actively contributing to these boards, you expose your pins to a broader and potentially more engaged audience. When pinners click on your pins within these group boards, they are directed to your website, creating a network of valuable backlinks.
Implement a Pinning Schedule: Consistency is key in the world of Pinterest marketing. Develop a pinning schedule that aligns with your audience's active hours. Regular pinning keeps your Pinterest profile dynamic and increases the chances of users clicking through to your website or blog.
Engage with Pinners: Actively engage with pinners who interact with your content. Respond to comments, express appreciation for shares and likes, and foster a sense of community. Pinners are more likely to explore your website for additional information when they feel connected to your brand.
Incorporating these strategies into your Pinterest marketing efforts will enhance your online visibility and foster a network of valuable links to your website or blog. These links serve as pathways for Pinterest users to discover the wealth of content you offer, ultimately driving traffic, boosting engagement, and increasing the reach of your online presence.
5. Embed Pins on Your Blog
Integrating Pinterest into your blog is an effective way to cross-promote your content and engage your audience. Embedding Pins on your blog can enhance your Pinterest presence and enrich your blog posts. Here's how to seamlessly incorporate Pins into your blog:
Pin It for Inspiration: Before you embed Pins on your blog, choosing content that complements your blog posts and resonates with your audience is crucial. Select Pins that align with the topics you're discussing and that offer additional value or inspiration to your readers.
Embedding Pins: Pinterest provides an easy-to-use feature that allows you to embed Pins directly into your blog posts. To do this, follow these simple steps:
- Find the Pin you want to embed.
- Click on the three dots (…) at the top right corner of the Pin.
- Select the “Embed” option from the dropdown menu.
- Copy the provided HTML code.
- Paste the HTML code into your blog post editor at the desired location.
Enhance Visual Appeal: Ensure the embedded Pins seamlessly blend with your blog's aesthetics. Adjust the Pin size, placement, and formatting to create a visually pleasing integration. Well-integrated Pins can provide valuable visual context to your blog content and make it more engaging.
Encourage Exploration: Embedded Pins enhance your blog's visual appeal and encourage readers to explore related content on Pinterest. When readers click on an embedded Pin, they are directed to Pinterest to discover more about the topic, engage with the Pin, and even follow your Pinterest profile.
Monitor Performance: Keep an eye on the performance of your embedded Pins by using Pinterest analytics. Track the number of clicks, saves, and interactions generated through these embedded Pins. This data can help you understand which Pins resonate with your blog audience and fine-tune your content strategy accordingly.
By embedding Pins within your blog posts, you create a dynamic synergy between your blog and Pinterest, fostering greater engagement and expanding your content's reach. This strategic integration enhances the overall user experience and encourages readers to explore your blog and Pinterest profile simultaneously.
Here's an example of an embedded video Pin:
6. Share Your Pins and Boards on Social Media
Expanding your Pinterest marketing reach goes beyond the platform itself. Sharing your pins and boards on other social media channels can amplify your content's exposure and drive more traffic to your Pinterest profile and website. Here's how to effectively cross-promote your Pinterest content on other social networks:
Strategic Sharing: When you create a new Pin or update your Pinterest boards, consider sharing them on your other active social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Each platform has its unique audience, and sharing Pinterest content widens your digital footprint.
Engaging Captions: Craft engaging captions or descriptions for your social media posts that entice your followers to click on the Pinterest link. Highlight the value or intrigue of the content and include a direct link to the Pin or board in the comments section for easy access.
Visual Teasers: Create visually appealing teaser images or graphics that represent your Pins or boards. Use these teasers as the main image for your social media posts. When users click on the image, they can be directed to the corresponding Pinterest content.
Utilize Hashtags: On platforms like Instagram and Twitter, utilize relevant hashtags in your posts to increase discoverability. Research and include popular and trending hashtags related to your Pins or boards to expand your reach beyond your current followers.
Consistent Promotion: Regularly share your Pinterest content on your social media channels to keep your audience engaged and informed. Consistency in promotion ensures that your followers are consistently exposed to your Pinterest updates.
Engagement and Interaction: Encourage social media followers to interact with your Pinterest content. Ask questions, run polls, or seek opinions about your Pins or boards. Interaction fosters engagement and increases the likelihood of shares and clicks.
Analytics and Tracking: Monitor the performance of your cross-promotion efforts by analyzing engagement metrics on your social media platforms. Track the number of clicks, shares, and comments generated from your social media posts linking to Pinterest.
By strategically sharing your Pinterest content on other social media channels and providing direct links in the comments, you create a seamless and engaging user experience. This approach drives traffic to your Pinterest profile and encourages cross-platform engagement, expanding your brand's reach across the digital landscape.
7. Leverage a “Pinterest for Business” Account for Robust Analytics
Unlocking the full potential of your Pinterest marketing strategy requires a “Pinterest for Business” account, which offers a wealth of analytics and insights to supercharge your efforts. With this specialized account, you can better understand your Pinterest performance and make data-driven decisions. Here's how to make the most of it:
In-Depth Insights: A “Pinterest for Business” account provides you with invaluable insights into the performance of your pins, boards, and overall Pinterest presence. Dive into data on pin engagement, click-through rates, and audience demographics. This information helps you gauge what's resonating with your audience and what needs adjustment.
Identify Top Performers: Use analytics to identify your top-performing pins and boards. When a pin starts gaining traction and interaction, take notice. These are the gems in your Pinterest arsenal that deserve extra attention.
Strategic Resharing: Armed with insights, strategically reshare your popular pins on other Pinterest boards or across your social networks. By amplifying your successful content, you can extend its reach and continue to capitalize on its popularity.
Social Amplification: It's not enough to let your pins sit passively. Once a pin gains momentum, fan the flames by boosting it on social media. Share it across your social networks, write engaging captions, and encourage your followers to engage with and reshare the pin.
Analytics-Driven Decisions: Regularly review your Pinterest analytics to refine your strategy. Identify trends, optimal posting times, and content themes that resonate with your audience. This data-driven approach ensures that you continuously evolve and improve your Pinterest marketing efforts.
Measure Impact: Use the analytics tools to measure the impact of your reshared pins and the social love you've given them. Track the increase in engagement, click-throughs, and overall reach to assess the effectiveness of your amplification efforts.
A “Pinterest for Business” account empowers you to make informed decisions, capitalize on your top-performing content, and maximize your Pinterest marketing impact. By harnessing its insights, you can elevate your Pinterest strategy to new heights and drive meaningful results for your business or brand.
8. Elevate Engagement with Engaging Video Pins
Video content is a powerhouse in today's digital landscape, and Pinterest is no exception. Introducing Video Pins to your Pinterest marketing strategy can provide an exciting dimension to your content that captures and holds your audience's attention.
Pinterest Video Specs:
- Accepted formats: .mp4, .mov, or .m4v
- Maximum file size: 2 GB
- Use either H.264 or H.265 encoding
- Video duration can range from 4 seconds to 15 minutes
- Recommended length for video ads: 6-15 seconds
- Title: Up to 100 characters. If no title is provided, the description will appear in the feed.
- Description: Up to 500 characters.
- Remember that the first 50-60 characters of the title or description will likely appear in the feed.
- Required for standard video: The video should be taller than 1.91:1 and shorter than 1:2.
- Recommended for standard video: 1:1 (square) or 2:3, 4:5, or 9:16 (vertical)
- Required for max. width video: 1:1 (square) or 16:9 (widescreen)
These specifications will help you create video content that meets Pinterest's requirements and looks great on the platform.
Here's how to make the most of Video Pins:
Create Captivating Videos: Aim for captivating, visually appealing content when crafting Video Pins. Whether it's a tutorial, behind-the-scenes footage, product demonstrations, or creative storytelling, ensure your videos are engaging from the first frame to the last.
Add Interactive Elements: Leverage Pinterest's interactive features for Video Pins. Incorporate stickers, text overlays, and music to enhance the viewer's experience. These elements can make your videos more immersive and memorable.
Repurpose Existing Content: Don't hesitate to repurpose video content from other platforms such as TikTok, Instagram Reels, or YouTube. Adapting successful videos for Pinterest allows you to extend their lifespan and reach a different audience. Make sure you don't have logos from other platforms on your Pins.
Optimize Length: Pinterest allows for video lengths of up to 60 seconds. Keep your videos concise and to the point, delivering valuable content that aligns with your marketing goals.
Video Storytelling: Consider creating series or episodic content within your Video Pins. Storytelling can be a powerful way to keep your audience engaged and returning for more.
Showcase Products and Services: If you're a business or retailer, Video Pins are an ideal platform to showcase your products or services in action. Demonstrate how they solve problems or enhance users' lives.
Analyze Video Metrics: Pinterest provides insights into how your Video Pins perform. Pay attention to metrics like video views, engagement, and click-through rates. Use this data to refine your video content strategy over time.
Video Pins can potentially leave a lasting impression on your audience and drive engagement. By incorporating visually appealing and interactive videos into your Pinterest marketing, you can tap into the power of dynamic storytelling and captivate your viewers in a way that static images alone can't achieve.
9. Enhance your Posts with Pinnable Images
To boost your Pinterest marketing efforts, you must include pinnable images in every post you publish. These images are eye-catching and optimized for Pinterest's preference for tall, vertical visuals.
Here's how I do it, and you can too:
Create Eye-Catching Images: I recommend having one or two large images within each blog post. These images should ideally have dimensions of 1000 x 1500 pixels. Pinterest tends to favor tall, vertical images, making them more likely to catch users' attention.
Optimize with Tasty Pins: To streamline the process and ensure your website's performance remains smooth, I use the Tasty Pins plugin. This tool allows you to add pinnable images to the backend of your posts without causing any slowdowns. It's a convenient way to make your content Pinterest-ready while maintaining a fast-loading website.
You can test Tasty Pins by hitting the Pinterest button, and you'll see the images that pop up for you to Pin to your favorite marketing or Pinterest boards. Please Pin while you're there.
Pin and Share: Once you've created your pinnable image, pin it directly to Pinterest. Then, share the pin's link within your blog post. This encourages readers to share your content on Pinterest, expanding its reach.
By incorporating pinnable images into your blog posts with the help of tools like Tasty Pins, you can seamlessly integrate Pinterest marketing into your content strategy while keeping your website running smoothly.
10. Establish Authority in Your Niche by Curating Relevant Boards
One of the keys to successful Pinterest marketing is becoming a trusted authority in your niche. You can achieve this by curating boards filled with high-quality, relevant content that resonates with your audience. Here's how to do it effectively:
Niche Boards: Create Pinterest boards focusing on specific topics within your niche. For example, if you're in the travel industry, you might have boards dedicated to different destinations, travel tips, or packing hacks. These boards should reflect your expertise and passion in your chosen field.
Regular Updates: Keep your boards fresh by regularly adding new pins. This demonstrates your commitment to staying up-to-date and providing valuable insights to your followers.
Quality over Quantity: While it's essential to maintain an active presence, prioritize quality over quantity. Curate content that genuinely adds value to your boards and aligns with your brand's message.
Engage with the Community: Pinterest is a social platform, and engagement is critical to building authority. Interact with other pinners by liking, repinning, and commenting on their pins. This not only fosters a sense of community but also increases your visibility.
Pin Your Content: Don't forget to pin your own content to these niche boards when relevant. This showcases your expertise and drives traffic back to your website or blog.
By consistently curating boards with exceptional content related to your niche, you'll position yourself as a go-to source for information and inspiration in your industry. This authority can increase followers, engagement, and, ultimately, business success on Pinterest.
11. Educate Your Audience with a Tips Board
Creating a tips board on Pinterest can be a powerful strategy to engage your audience and provide valuable insights. Here's how to make your tips board both captivating and compelling:
Focused Content: Your tips board should have a clear focus, offering advice, guidance, or helpful tips related to your niche or industry. Whether you share cooking tips, fashion advice, or business insights, ensure the content aligns with your brand and audience's interests.
Consistent Branding: Maintain a consistent visual identity for your tips board. Use cohesive visuals and branding elements to make your board stand out and reinforce your brand's identity.
Educational Value: The primary purpose of a tips board is to educate and inform your audience. Provide valuable, actionable tips that help solve everyday problems or answer questions within your niche.
Creative Presentation: Present your tips in a visually appealing and creative manner. Utilize eye-catching images, infographics, or step-by-step tutorials to make your content engaging and easy to consume.
Interactive Approach: Encourage interaction by inviting your audience to comment, share their thoughts, or ask questions about the tips you provide. Engaging with your followers fosters a sense of community and encourages further discussion.
Consistent Updates: Keep your tips board up-to-date by regularly adding new tips and insights. This keeps your audience engaged and signals that your brand is actively involved in sharing valuable information.
Pinning Strategy: Share your tips on other relevant and group boards to expand their reach. This can attract new followers who are interested in the expertise you offer.
A well-curated tips board can establish your brand as a knowledgeable and helpful resource in your industry. It's an excellent way to engage your audience, build trust, and keep them returning for more valuable insights.
12. Foster Collaboration with Group Boards
Collaborative boards offer an exciting opportunity to expand your Pinterest presence, reach new audiences, and increase the visibility of your pins. However, it's important to approach this strategy with care and strategic thinking. Here's how to effectively use collaborative boards:
Strategic Selection: Choose collaborative boards that align with your brand and target audience. These boards should share a common interest or theme with your content. Be selective to ensure your contributions are relevant and valuable.
Active Participation: Actively engage in the group boards you join. Contribute high-quality pins that resonate with the board's theme. Regularly interact with other contributors by liking, repinning, and commenting on their content. Collaboration is a two-way street.
Cover Photo Consideration: Keep in mind that the cover photo is often the first thing users see on collaborative boards. If you have the privilege of owning a group board, select a cover photo representing the board's theme and entice viewers to explore further.
New Opportunities: Be open to creating your collaborative boards when relevant. These boards can be a platform for sharing knowledge, expertise, and creative ideas. For example, I've recently introduced my “Pinterest Tips for Success” board, where fellow pinners share valuable insights and enhance their Pinterest skills.
Community Building: Collaborative boards can foster a sense of community among like-minded pinners. Encourage respectful interactions, knowledge sharing, and a positive atmosphere within these boards.
Pin Responsibly: Be mindful of the content you pin to group boards. Ensure it adheres to the board's guidelines and provides value to the audience. Avoid spammy or overly promotional pins.
Collaborative boards offer a fantastic opportunity to connect with other pinners, broaden your reach, and showcase your expertise. When approached strategically, they can be a valuable addition to your Pinterest marketing efforts, helping you connect with new audiences and amplifying your platform presence.
Follow Peg Fitzpatrick’s board Pinterest Tips for Success on Pinterest.
How to Boost Your Pinterest Marketing
These Pinterest marketing strategies are your keys to unlocking the platform's potential for your business or brand. Remember, Pinterest is more than just a visual playground; it's a dynamic marketing tool. Here's a quick recap of our tips:
- Strategic Boards: Craft boards with keyword-rich titles and relevant categories to improve discoverability.
- Compelling Descriptions: Use keyword-rich descriptions that are concise, engaging, and tweet-worthy.
- Visual Impact: Create attention-grabbing, vertical images (1000 x 1500 pixels) to maximize your pins' visual appeal.
- Backlinking: Include relevant links to your website or blog in pin descriptions and sources.
- Embed Pins: Enhance your blog or website by embedding Pinterest pins to encourage more shares and engagement.
- Cross-Promotion: Share your pins and boards across other social media channels, utilizing the power of cross-promotion.
- Analytics Insights: Opt for a “Pinterest for Business” account to gain access to valuable analytics and insights.
- Video Pins: Experiment with video pins to harness the potential of this engaging format.
- Pinnable Content: Ensure each blog post features a pinnable image for easy sharing on Pinterest.
- Curate Quality Boards: Build authority in your niche by curating boards filled with relevant, high-quality content.
- Tips Board: Capture your audience's interest with a tips board, offering valuable advice and solutions.
- Collaborative Boards: Explore collaborative boards to connect with new pinners and expand your reach.
With these strategies, you can embark on a successful Pinterest marketing journey. Now, it's over to you. Share your Pinterest marketing experiences, and let's continue the conversation in the comments below!
If you want more in-depth information, you might like to take my full Pinterest course and learn how to pin like a pro: Click here to learn Pinterest!