Wondering how to get started and learn to rock the Instagram platform? Then this Instagram 101 post and video are for you! Instagram is a wonderful ways to tell your story through photos. It’s a little glimpse into your world that can lead to better connections, new friends, and most importantly amazing business connections.
I had a hangout with my good friend Instagram Gal Sue Zimmerman and she shared a wealth of amazing tips to turn your Instagram presence into something to be proud of! Let’s get a look into how Sue excels on Instagram. She did this presentation from her phone with screencasting so you can see exactly what it looks like live.
Let’s dig deep into Instagram for Business with Instagram expert Sue Zimmerman!
7 Keys Steps to Instagram SuccessAttract your ideal clients by creating a solid hashtag strategy on Instagram.Click To Tweet
1. Create an Instagram profile
Have a clear, fantastic avatar that you use on Instagram as well as Twitter, Google+, Facebook. It helps people to recognize you across social media if you use the same photo.
- Try to use the name user name as Twitter so that people can easily tag you.
- Note: My user name on Instagram is now Peg Fitzpatrick, no longer PeggyFitzpatrick. Hooray!
- Use keywords in your bio for searchability.
- Change the URL in your bio to reflect what you’re doing.
- Use BITLY to track your Instagram traffic and customize it. Use it to strategically boost your traffic where it makes the most sense to you.
- Use emojis for some color and fun calls to action.
2. Construct an hashtag strategy
Attract your ideal clients by creating a solid hashtag strategy on Instagram!Click To Tweet!
- You can use up to 30 hashtags per post.
- Post a few in the original post. Add more in the comments.
- Use Evernote to save groups of hashtags by topic to use across your devices. Or use Notes on an iPhone. Cut and paste them in groups of six!
- Be consistent with your hashtags. Choose your own to help people find you. Sue uses #instagramexpert and #instagallive.
- It’s worth the time to build your hashtag strategy. It saves time and helps with consistency.
- Create separate accounts if you have more than one niche. Sue has six accounts to cover her different business focuses. She’s increasing her business because customers of her store and clients for her social media consulting find her with hashtags.
- Stop the random acts of hashtagging! Be focused and targeted in your niche.
- Refresh your Instagram posts by changing your hashtag groups in the comments.
- Create hashtags that build a hub for your content.
3. Build a posting strategy
- Use a repost app to share other people’s posts.
- Repost Whiz is Sue’s favorite app and I use Photo Repost.
- Create fun videos with the Flipagram app.
- Add quote graphics that you can create on your phone or desktop. WordSwag and Canva are two options.
4. Encourage engagementCreate real relationships with your ideal clients by creating value in your niche. This is where the magic happens!Click To Tweet
- Delete spammy comments by swiping and remove them.
- Give shouts out to thought leaders and friends.
- Tag people in photos so they receive a notification.
- Create a path for people to follow with your hashtags.
- Make it easy for people to find you.
- You can’t have success on Instagram with a private account. Make it public to connect with new people.
- Check out industry relevant hashtags to find new people.
- Double tap a post to like it and show your appreciation.
5. Be found with geo-tagging on Instagram
“Geotagging is a technical term for storing the latitude and longitude of your current location with your photo. This data is collected by the GPS device in your phone or tablet and is accessible to Instagram if you grant permission.”
This helps people find you. When you have a physical location, using geo-tagging is really important. They can follow your geo-tag via G0ogle maps right to your location. Perfect when you’re a small business!
Kim Garst and Sue created a video on how to use geo-tagging with Instagram.
6. Use call to actions
A call to action is the text you’ll add in your comments that tell people what you’d like them to do next. This takes a casual visitor to a lead and then a client by providing the next step to reach you or find out what you do.
A few calls to action you could use on Instagram:
- Click the link in my bio for more information.
- Check out the link in my bio for a sneak peek of my new course.
- Like what you see here? Connect with me to learn more.
- Contact me to learn how you can…
Every post should have a call to action but you don’t need to be pushy, you can just put the offer out there. If you don’t ask, you won’t connect. Let people know how they can work with you and make it easy for them to find you.
7. Connect with direct messages
Sue adds value to followers by sharing Instagram tips via direct messages.
Thank you so much to Sue for doing this fantastic hangout and sharing some of your Instagram smarts! If you want to learn more, please follow Sue, read her blog, and check out her educational opportunities. She’s hosting a conference in Boston called Sail to Your Success, come on September 20th at take your business to the next level. Sue also has a new, free course coming up at Creative Live. Register here!
Additional reading: 12 Most Snappy Ways to Get Instaglam on Instagram
I’m sure you’ll be headed right over to Instagram to test out these new things on your posts. Make sure you say hello while you’re there! Questions or comments? Love to hear them in the comments below.
Latest posts by Peg (see all)
- 12 Strategic Ways to Use Pinterest Marketing - February 19, 2017
- 10 Amazing Tricks To Get The Most Out Of Your Travel - January 25, 2017
- 12 Most Innovative Ways to Create Content That Gets Shared - January 16, 2017