Google+ popped out a new update today and I love it!
Bold text from from Sara McKinley at Google [screen shots added by me]
“We spend lots of time listening to your feedback, and today we’re launching some profile and page updates that you’ve been asking for. These include:
– A new tab for your Local reviews. In addition to your photos, +1’s and YouTube videos, there’s now a place for all your Local reviews. Highlight your favorite restaurants, or hide the tab completely via settings — it’s completely up to you.
– An easier way to edit your info. The ‘About’ tab now consists of separate cards (like Story, Places, and Links) — each with its own prominent edit link. As always: you can share specific fields with specific circles, or keep them just for you.
– Bigger cover photos, with a better aspect ratio. Cover photos are much larger than before (up to 2120px by 1192px), and they display in 16×9 when fully expanded. This way more images can be used as cover photos, and there’s more room for your selection to shine.
I love what they’ve done with the profile avatar and adding a new top banner for profiles. They’ve cropped the avatars to a circle. This is what you see at the top in a fixed positive when you are looking at someone’s Google+ personal wall. The avatar resizes to a smaller version.
They’ve also added a wonderful hover card for the people that have circled you or that you’ve circled that’s visible from your profile. Make sure that you check your own hover card to see what data is showing, it might need some tweaking to get just the right text in preview.
Everything’s rolling out gradually, so check back soon if you don’t see it yet. Once it’s live (at plus.google.com/me).
Wow, Google+. Color me really excited! What do you think of the new features?
Featured image courtesy of kowitz via Creative Commons.
Latest posts by Peg (see all)
- The Art of Visual Storytelling - October 17, 2016
- Lean In and Push Back: A Love Letter to Girls in Tech - October 2, 2016
- 3 Powerful Strategies for Delivering Your Best Social Media - September 26, 2016