Pinterest hashtags?!? OMG, Pinterest is using hashtags now. I honestly didn’t think I’d be writing this article. But, yup, you can now add hashtags to your Pinterest descriptions. Let’s look at what we know and how to create a smart strategy for your hashtags.
Tips for Pinterest Hashtags
Pinterest says, “Hashtags on Pinterest work just like they do anywhere else. When you add hashtags to the description for a new Pin, other Pinners can visit a feed of all the Pins that share that hashtag. Whether those Pins are promoted or not, the freshest Pins will be right up top.”
This is a key statement that we’ll have to test “the freshest Pins will be right up top.”
Here’s what they look like in the description. Note the Pinterest hashtags are blue.
Pinterest Hashtag limit: 20
Pinterest says the maximum amount of hashtags you can use is twenty. The number of hashtags isn’t the most important piece – it’s more important that you choose relevant, on-topic hashtags for your content. Don’t just add twenty because they recommend it. I’m going to test four – five hashtags on my pins.
The Philosophy of a Hashtag Strategy
Do you have a hashtag strategy? Having a solid strategy behind your hashtag can bring real results for you and your brand.
Clicking on a hashtag can provide a wealth of information and a sea of potential connections. Here’s a few ways that hashtags can be used:
- Real-time interaction with friends, fans, and influencers
- Reenforce your area of expertise
- Connect with other people interested in the same topic
- Create a social media campaign
- Brand awareness
- Catch the trends – daily, weekly, or holiday
- Find valuable UGC (user generated content)
- Rock out live events such as conferences
- Build out a social contest
Hashtags should be:
- Easy to spell.
- Easy to remember.
- Doesn’t spell something awkward or potentially embarrassing.
- Make other people want to join in like #TeamOreo. If the hashtag is only about you, it limits other people being interested in using it.
Make sure to check hashtags to make sure that they aren’t being used for another topic or reason. You don’t want to hijack someone else’s content or jump into something inappropriate accidentally.
Tools for finding hashtags
• TagDef – You can find the definitions and popular hashtags here.
• Tags for Likes – A smartphone app for grabbing groups of hashtags.
• Hashtagif.me – Lots of great information here on people using the hashtag as well as related hashtags.
Should you update old Pins to add Pinterest Hashtags?
Yes, if it makes sense for your brand or blog.
How to edit descriptions:
Hover over the Pin you want to edit and click the pencil button
Edit the Pin description or pick a new board
Click Save Changes when you’re done
Or click Delete Pin if you want to get rid of it—you can’t undo this, so be careful!
What are you going to change in your Pinterest strategy now that Pinterest hashtags are a thing? Share in the comments below and let’s figure this out!
Get the good stuff!
Get tips, tricks, and goodies right in your inbox. By subscribing, you're giving permission for me to email you with new courses, videos, blog articles, and other social media marketing educational content that I create.