Are you your own worst critic? If your internal dialog is killing your momentum towards reaching your goals and being happy, it’s time to stop the pattern.
Here are five things that you can do to stop the negative chatter:
1. Be aware — pay attention to what you are saying to yourself. If you start being negative, stop yourself and move on. Dwelling on negative thoughts is not going to help you.
2. Call a friend — run the scenario that’s going through your head by your best friend. They’ll either tell you your being silly, offer a suggestion or maybe just listen.
3. Take a big breath. Just breathe for a bit. Being stressed can cause tension so take a moment away from the computer, your desk or the kids if possible. Concentrate on something positive that you have to be grateful for and restart your positive clock.
4. Try some pet therapy — take your dog for a walk or pet your cat. They’re great listeners. Studies have proven that spending time with your pet can spark some “feel good hormones” which will certainly help.
You might like to read: Pets are good for you
5. Do something nice for someone else. Helping others gets you out of your own head and into a great frame of mind.
So, the bad news is that you are your worst bully but the good news is that you can change it. Having the power to change your internal dialog is a pretty darn big gift. I hope you use it well.
What do you do when you’re having negative thoughts? What gets you to snap out of it?
Latest posts by Peg (see all)
- Instagram Analytics: What to Measure to Grow Your Instagram - March 24, 2017
- How to Create a Winning Instagram on a Budget - March 7, 2017
- 12 Strategic Ways to Use Pinterest Marketing - February 19, 2017