This month marks the second anniversary of a sad event for me. One of my best friends, Steve, passed away suddenly at the age of 36 due to complications from an elective surgery that ironically he was having with the hope that it would give him a healthier and longer life. We worked together for several years. Steve was a really good man, a supportive husband and probably the best father a kid could ever want, so proud of his family. He worked very hard and played harder. He was the quintessential friend: loving, supportive, great listener. He was a rock for me, no matter what the situation he would just boil it down and put it into perspective. So wise!
We were the most unlikely friends and yet the best of friends. Total opposites in almost every way imaginable. But at the heart was a deep respect for one another and a similar joy in life. Boy, did I love to make this guy laugh, he had an awesome huge belly laugh. I miss him calling me “girl.” He took every opportunity to tease me but always in good fun.
So in honor of Stevie, I’d like to share some of the wisdom that this sweet friend shared with me.
- “If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter”
- “It’s only money you can always make more tomorrow.”
- “Life is too short for mean people.”
- “It’s all by the hour, girl.” I think Steve said this to me everyday when I got frustrated by co-workers.
- If someone loves you, you’ll know it.
One of the most important lessons I learned from Steve was don’t ever miss the opportunity to tell someone that you love them or care about them. You never know when the last time you will see them will be. And that is a lesson from his life, not his death, because he believed that with all his heart. Friendship counts in life.
So in honor of my buddy Steve, here are some lyrics to a Brad Paisley song that was on the CD I bought the day he passed away. I feel like he wanted me to have this song.
“Seasons come and seasons go
One day sun, the next day snow
Flowers die and flowers grow
But love is never-ending
You can’t kill it with goodbye
It always finds a place to hide
Inside your heart for your whole life
Love is never-ending”
Cheers Buddy! And thanks.
Featured image courtesy of ocadotony via Creative Commons.
Latest posts by Peg (see all)
- 12 Most Innovative Ways to Create Content That Gets Shared - January 16, 2017
- How to Unlock the Key to Instagram Engagement - January 10, 2017
- How to Make Your Pinterest Pins Look Like a Million Bucks - January 4, 2017