Wondering why no one shares your blog post? Spending hours writing great content for your blog only to have it fall flat once you hit the publish button? I’m guessing that it has to do with the visual strategy for your blog. In this article, I’m going to share three powerful visual strategies to supercharge your next blog post.
#1 visual blog strategy: Create a socially shareable blog
If you want people to share your blog, and I know you do, you need to make it as easy as possible for them to share to their social media platforms. This needs to be a one-click action.
First, make sure that you have social sharing buttons on your blog. I’m shocked when I see blogs in 2017 without social sharing buttons.
My favorite social sharing WordPress plugin is Social Warfare. A few of my favorite features are:
- Super light and fast: doesn’t slow my website page load time down
- Responsive: No matter what size screen your website is viewed on, these share buttons will always fit perfectly and look great.
- Customizable: Customize the tweets that are populated when a visitor clicks your Twitter button (you can even add images if you like)!
- Pinterest-friendly: Unlock the power of Pinterest and skyrocket your content’s success by uploading a Pinterest-specific image and description!
- Add the image to your custom tweets
#2 visual blog strategy: Test your blog visuals on social media
Once you’ve written your blog and added your visuals, the next important step is to check your social posts to see what happens when the share button is hit on your blog. This helps you troubleshoot any issues that you might have.
I set my blog posts up in the Social Warfare plugin on each blog post. I add two images:
- 800 x 1200 pixels for Pinterest
- 1,200 by 628 pixels for Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Once I hit publish, I first hit the Pinterest button to save to Pinterest, and then go through them all to share socially as well as make sure that all the images are working when they are shared. You might not want to share to all your social platforms at one time but I pull them up to test the images.
See how beautiful the Facebook image is to share from this article? One click to a perfect post for your blog readers!
#3 visual blog strategy: Embed social media posts in your articles
I love social media and my blog. I also love combining these two things together by sharing my social media images in my blog posts. Embedding social posts is super easy and provides great visuals for your readers.
This is a really cool way to add video to your article! I created an animated post in Adobe Spark and tweeted it. Then I embedded the video into WordPress. This looks really cool.
— Peg Fitzpatrick ✨ (@PegFitzpatrick) May 1, 2017
My friends at Sprout Social wrote this great article on how to embed social posts from each social media platform. It’s as easy as coding some code to the backend of your article.
If you’re looking for more information on how to use visual content with your blog, I was recently interviewed by Darren on his ProBlogger podcast. It took me a few tries to find an embeddable version of Darren’s podcast but I did it! You can click the arrow below to listen to the interview.
– See more at: http://visual.ly/get-visual#sthash.xu7eAdPy.dpuf